Friday, February 17, 2012

Toms Creek Falls and Little Buck Creek Trail


I woke up to rain and clouds and my first thought was to snuggle back up and stay in bed, but I was feeling the need to get out and see somewhere new. The weather called for periods of rain, low 40's and high winds moving in for the afternoon. To me it sounded like the perfect day to get out, besides what's the point of rain gear if you don't use it? Feeling energized I got out the maps and set my sight on two hikes for the day, Toms Creek Falls and Little Buck Creek Trail.

Toms Creek Falls is located approximately 7mi. north of Marion North Carolina, tucked away in rural country side. I like to say I have a bit of gypsy in my soul so the idea I was of creating space between my home and I felt exhilertaing and I could feel myself soften and relax the closer I got. The trail head was easy to locate and I was pleased to find no other cars in the parking area. Roxy began pacing in the back seat and it was obvious she was vibing my energy. Toms Creek falls is an easy 1mi. out and back walk so I left all my gear in the car, grabbing only my camera.



I was surprised by how beautifully tranquil the trail was that morning and wondered how busy it would get on a nice day. The trail meanders alongside Toms Creek, ascending gradually through thick hardwood forest. Old road beds shot off to my right, trying to tempt me off trail begging to be walked. Instead I ventured onto slightly established footpaths down to the creek where smaller cascades began to make face. I began to wondering how a creek so small could create a 100ft. waterfall. My inquiring mind and an impatiently waiting dog got me back on trail and in no time, a heavy vibration could be felt under my feet. Without hesitation I took off running up the trail and the closer I got I was greeted by a loud rumble.

My breath was stolen from me at first sight and I immediately bit my tonge for ever questioning the creeks landscape. Hands down, Toms Creek Falls is a place of beauty and wonder. Taking my best guess, the upper section dropped about 20ft, before taking the final 80ft. plundge to the rocks below, but there was more than that. I took my gaze off the falls to the surrounding area. In front of me loomed a rock wall that was as high as the falls its self, but had to have been a couple hundred feet wide! The rock was smooth and emmense boulders littered the valley below which I stood in. I was absolutely fixated on the views grandeur.  I closed my eyes, allowing my feelings to sink in and when I opened them, I imagined water flowing over the entire outstretched wall. I suddenly felt so small and powerless and then it hit me, Toms Creek Falls didn't used to be so humbled in size.

I began snapping photos, bounding from rock to rock and climbing across fallen trees to get a clear shot. I could have stayed there forever but I had another hike planned for the day. I said my goodbyes and made my way back to the car. We headed down the road in search of Little Buck Creek Trail which claimed to be a 5.8 moderate to strenuous hike and was supposed to have excellent views of Marion, Lake Tahoma and the Black Mountains. Again the drive was beautiful and it was the first time I had seen the populated Lake Tahoma. As I followed the road around the lake, I took note of the bright red signs that strictly barked the no trespassing policy. The signs continued to lead my way up the forest service road, eventually ending at the national forest boundary. I set my odomiter and in 1.5mi the trail head was to be at a turnout with a forest service gate and sign.

Well, there was no trail head and in 2.5 miles the road dead ended at a large cleared out area with an old road bed leading off the the left. There was no gate, no signs and no blazes. I got out of the car and approached the old road bed, considered grabbing my gear and just walk up the road, but a voice in my head stopped me. This was not the plan I had communicated with Ryan and for whatever reason it didn't feel safe. Ready to call it a day I tried to call the dog back to the car, but she wouldn't come. She was intently sniffing around an area and as I approached her I noticed two holes in the ground. I gasped when I found a rib cage of an animal that the size of Roxy and it was obvious it had been buried, but dig up. The other hole was partially dug up and I could see nothing. I looked around the surrounding area trying to make sense of what I was seeing, but I was already creeped out and finding a dug up skeleton in the middle of nowhere didn't help matters any.

I managed to get Roxy back into the car and I was ready to make the trek home. I did keep my eyes out for a trail head thinking I might have missed it on the way in, but found nothing. Driving away from that place felt good. It's crazy to think how in the morning I was in a place of safe refuge and beauty, only to end my adventure with uneasy feelings and piculiar findings. I was proud of myself for not pushing on just because I had made the drive and effort. I followed my intuition and because of that I made it home safe and sound with a great story to tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment